Troubleshooting Internet or Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues
The first step for addressing any Internet or Wi-Fi connectivity issues is to always reboot your device (desktop computers, laptops, tablets, etc.). To do this, please safely power down your equipment, wait several seconds and then restart it. This step may seem unnecessary, but please don't skip it. If you end up calling us for help, we'll ask if this step has been completed.
If your connectivity issues exist after rebooting your devices, it's time to check your C Spire Fiber equipment.
CHECK THE WIRELESS ROUTER
Let's start by checking your Wireless Router. There are four lights going across the front of your Router but only the first three lights are important to your connectivity. Here's what they should look like:
From left to right, the lights represent power (green), Internet connection (green) and Wi-Fi connectivity (blue). If the first three lights on your Router don't look like this, please continue reading. If they do, you can skip to the next section.
- Confirm that all of the Router's cords going into the ports and power connector are secure.
- If the Router's cords are secure but the issue persists, it's time to reboot the Router. Unplug the Router's power cord both from the device and from the wall or outlet, wait several seconds and then plug it back in. It could take up to five minutes for the Router to power up completely.
- Next, look at the lights on the front of the Router. There are four lights going across the front of the Router, but we're concerned with the first three lights.
- Power - If you see no lights on the front of the device, check the power cord to ensure it's plugged into the Router and the power outlet. If it's plugged in but you still have no lights on your Router, confirm the outlet has power by plugging in a lamp or other device. If you've confirmed that the outlet has power but there are still no lights on your Router even after rebooting it, please call us at 1-855-Get100x (438-1009) because it's possible that the device is faulty.
- Internet Connection - If your Router has power but the second light is not illuminated, confirm that your Ethernet cable is securely plugged into the back of the Router. If your Ethernet cable is securely plugged into the back of the Router and the light still isn't illuminated, please call us at 1-855-Get100x (438-1009).
- Wi-Fi Connectivity – If you have power and an Internet connection but the third light is not illuminated, confirm that Wi-Fi is turned on. Facing the Router, look at the right side of the device; there are two buttons. The top one is the Wi-Fi on/off button. Press the Wi-Fi on/off button to see if that turns on the Wi-Fi light on the front of the Router. If it doesn't, please call us at 1-855-Get100x (438-1009).
- If the first three lights on your Router now resemble the image above, check the Switch next.
Please note: If you have your own Router, you can use the steps above for basic troubleshooting but please refer to your Router's documentation or the manufacturer's website for expected functionality.
CHECK THE SWITCH
Not all homes will have a device known as a "Switch." It is a box that connects multiple devices (e.g., desktop PC, printer, game console, Smart TV, etc.) on a single network. If you have a Switch, it will probably be located with your home's other communication equipment – likely in a utility room or closet.
- Ensure that all cables going into the Switch are secure.
- If all of the cables are secure, next, reboot the device by unplugging each cord/cable and plugging it back in the same location. Start with the power cord – unplug it both from the Switch and the power outlet. It could take up to five minutes for the Switch to power up completely.
- Next, check for lights on the back of the Switch. There will be a light to indicate the Switch is receiving power and a set of lights for each cable plugged into a port.
- If the appropriate lights on the Switch are illuminated, check the Residential Gateway next.
CHECK THE RESIDENTIAL GATEWAY
Every C Spire Fiber customer has a Residential Gateway (RG). The RG brings the C Spire Fiber network and connectivity into your home. It will probably be located with your home's other communication equipment – likely in a utility room or closet – and mounted on the wall.
- Ensure that all cables going into the RG are secure.
- If all of the cables are secure, next, reboot the device by unplugging each cord/cable and plugging it back in the same location. Start with the power cord – unplug it both from the RG and the power outlet. It could take up to five minutes for the RG to power up completely.
- Now, check the status lights on the front of the RG. From left to right, you'll see the following status lights: Power, Data Uplink, Internet Connection, Phone Line Connection and WLAN. Confirm that the Power and Internet Connection lights are illuminated.
- If the Internet Connection status light (third from the left) isn't illuminated and you've confirmed that all cables and cords are securely positioned, please call us at 1-855-Get100x (438-1009) for assistance and we will schedule a service call at your convenience.